You can have Maltese Timpana using 12 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Maltese Timpana
- It’s of macaroni.
- You need of minced beef and pork (mixed).
- Prepare of chicken livers (optional).
- Prepare of flaky pastry.
- You need of chopped onions.
- You need of garlic.
- You need of tomato paste.
- You need of grated parmesan cheese.
- You need of eggs (lightly beaten).
- You need of Ricotta cheese.
- It’s of salt.
- It’s of pepper.
Maltese Timpana instructions
- Prepare sauce: – saute onion and garlic in margarine – Add ground meat. – Salt and pepper to taste. – Stir well and cook for about 15 minutes. – Add the tomato paste and a cup of beef stock. – Simmer for an hour..
- Fry livers in margarine for 5 minutes..
- Boil macaroni until barely tender. Rinse under cold water. mix the cooked meat and tomato mixture into the macaroni. Add ricotta, beaten eggs, and grated cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir well..
- Cover bottom and sides of a baking dish with pastry or phyllo dough. Put in a layer of macaroni mixture. If you cooked chicken livers, arrange these over the macaroni and cover with another layer of macaroni. Cover with pastry..
- Bake in oven for an hour at 200° C. or until the top is brown. Let it rest for half an hour before cutting in squares..