Pav bhaji. Pav bhaji recipe with video & step by step photos – A delicious blend of mix veggies cooked in butter & spices, served with soft butter tasted buns. Pav is an Indian bread and bhaji is mashed vegetables. Pav Bhaji Recipe with video and step by step photos.
Pav Bhaji is a popular Indian street food. Pav Bhaji is made with potatoes and vegetables cooked in a tomato base, and enjoyed with pav or dinner rolls. We will make it in both Instant Pot and Stovetop. You can cook Pav bhaji using 20 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Pav bhaji
- It’s 2-4 tablespoons of salted butter plus 4 tablespoons, at room temperature.
- It’s 1 of large yellow onion finely diced.
- Prepare 1/2 of green bell pepper seeded and diced.
- It’s 1/2 of red bell pepper seeded and diced (optional).
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of ginger grated.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of garlic minced.
- You need 5 cups of cauliflower florets 1-inch florets.
- It’s 2 of large Yukon gold potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Prepare 3 of plum tomatoes cored and diced.
- You need 1/2 cup of frozen green peas.
- It’s of Kosher salt.
- Prepare 1 cup of water.
- You need 3 tablespoons of tomato paste.
- You need 1-2 tablespoon of pav bhaji masala.
- You need 1 tablespoon of Kashmiri red chilli powder or another mild red chilli powder see Note.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of ground turmeric.
- It’s 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro finely chopped.
- It’s 12 of potato buns.
- You need 1 of red onion finely diced.
- You need 1 of lime cut into wedges.
Pav Bhaji is a spicy mashed vegetable dish, served piping hot with a dollop of butter, diced red onions, cilantro and a squeeze of lime. Accompanied by warm buttery pan-toasted rolls. Pav Bhaji – a spicy curry of mixed vegetables (bhaji) cooked in a special blend of spices and served with soft buttered pav (bread bun shallow fried in butter), is any Indian food lover's dream. I used garam masala instead of Pav Bhaji masala.
Pav bhaji instructions
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in a stove top pressure cooker. Add onion, ginger, garlic, bell peppers and sauté until the onion turns translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the cauliflower, potatoes, tomatoes, peas, and 2 teaspoons salt; pour in the water; and stir well. Secure the lid and pressure cook 2 to 3 whistles or about 15 minutes on medium heat..
- Open the pressure cooker and mash all the veggies with a potato masher. Stir in the tomato paste, pav bhaji masala, red chilli powder, and turmeric, followed by 2 tablespoons butter. Cover with a glass lid, as the bhaji may start to splatter, and cook until heated through. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt, pav bhaji masala, and chilli powder if needed. Garnish with the cilantro..
- Next, lightly butter the potato buns and toast each side on a heated griddle or a pan..
- Spoon the bhaji onto plates, sprinkle with the red onion, and serve with the toasted buns and lime wedges on the side..
- Please don't forget to tag @appetizing.adventure on Instagram with a picture if you try this recipe!.
Pav Bhaji is a favorite fast food dish in India. Pav is buns and bhaji is the mixed spicy vegetables. This is a very popular dish with roadside vendors. Both Pav and Bhaji are served together along with chopped onions and lemon wedge. Pav Bhaji being native to Maharashtra especially to Mumbai is enjoyed globally.