Shepherd's pie with sweet potatoes. Hearty, comfort food at its finest. Shepherd's Pie with Sweet Potato Topping is a family-pleasing, meal prep friendly and an incredibly tasty recipe. How to Make Vegan Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie.
Shepherd's pie filled with ground turkey sautéed with mixed vegetables, sliced mushrooms and fresh herbs with a savory garlic sweet potato topping. This sweet potato shepherd's pie was inspired from my classic Lightened Up Shepherd's Pie. I also have a meatless version, Portobello. You can have Shepherd's pie with sweet potatoes using 13 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Shepherd's pie with sweet potatoes
- Prepare of Vegetables.
- You need of onion.
- Prepare of celery.
- Prepare of fennel.
- It’s of tomato.
- It’s of zucchini.
- It’s of mushrooms.
- It’s of Meat.
- Prepare of ground beef.
- You need of sausage.
- You need of can tomato paste.
- Prepare of Topping.
- It’s of sweet potatoes, mashed.
My kids absolutely love sweet potatoes and will eat them any way I fix them, so this is a good way to add in the extra veggies. I love this healthier take on shepherd's pie with a creamy sweet potato topping. This is a family favorite at our house and my kids love helping make the layers. This Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie recipe is healthy, easy to make, and so scrumptious.
Shepherd's pie with sweet potatoes instructions
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Peel sweet potatoes and cook in the microwave with one quarter cup of water until done.
- Brown 1 pound ground beef, 1/2 pound sausage, 1 cup of fennel, 1 1/2 cup of celery, and 1 medium onion.
- Season the meat mixture to taste.
- Blend the sweet potatoes until smooth.
- Cut up remaining vegetables including a summer squash 1 medium tomato and mushrooms.
- Once the meat mixture is cooked to add the vegetables plus one 6 ounce can tomato paste to it.
- Cover until heated through then transfer to a cake pan.
- Bake uncovered in a 350°F oven for about 20 minutes then use the broiler to brown the top.
- Let sit for about 5 minutes so the goodness congeals together.
The perfect fall recipe and the ultimate comfort food that can be on your dinner table in no time. Use sweet potatoes: For an amazing sweet+savory combo, feel free to use sweet potatoes instead of Russets or Yukon golds in your mashed potatoes. You're welcome to serve this shepherd's pie with extra gravy on the side, if you would like. Otherwise, we enjoyed ours with Authentic shepherd's pie is a comfort food classic, but there's no room in my diet or grocery budget for a heavy dish of ground lamb or beef and buttery potatoes, except as an occasional treat. Lentils and mushrooms are more my speed, and sweet potatoes, roasted until creamy-soft.