You can have Carnitas using 14 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Carnitas
- It’s 1 of pork shoulder without the bone.
- You need 26 oz of pork lard or vegetable if you can't find the pork one.
- You need 4 of pork ears.
- It’s 1/2 cup of light beer your choice.
- You need 1/2 cup of evaporated milk about (6oz).
- You need 2 of oranges cut in half.
- Prepare 1 stick of cinnamon.
- It’s 4 of Bay leaves.
- It’s 4 clove of garlic.
- It’s 1 pinch of Oregano.
- Prepare 1 pinch of thyme.
- It’s 1 tbsp of salt.
- Prepare 1/4 piece of of onion.
- Prepare 1 cup of water.
- cut the shoulder into medium size squares.
- with the stove off,in a deep pot add the lard and cup of water, the lard has to be cold so it doesn't jump on you, then turn on the stove and let this boil..
- the water is to prevent the lard from frying the meat. Once is boiling add the pork, squeeze in the juice of the oranges and leave the peels in the pot, keep the tempeture on medium..
- Let this cook for 30 min you don't have to cover the pot. stir once in a while to prevent the meat from sticking on the bottom.
- add the ears and move the meat around to make sure everything fits in the pot and let it boil for 30 min..
- add onion, garlic, cinnamon, Bay leaves, Oregano, milk, beer and salt. and let it cook for 1 hour..
- by now the meat should be ready. take all the meat out and only the meat not the juice on a colander to drain extra juice..
- Now if you let the juice seat until is cold you can scoop the lard from the top and reuse it or just discard this is up to you I will use..
- Chop the meat and now you can eat it on tacos or serve in a plate with a side of rice and refried beans..
- To top the tacos you need to chop onion, cilantro, add some lime and salsa..