Caramelised Onion Sausage Rolls. Take a sheet of puff pastry and stuff it with pork sausages, chutney and mustard to make these onion & thyme sausage rolls. Squeeze the meat from the sausages into a bowl and mix with the chutney, mustard and thyme. Learn how to make these Caramelised Onion Sausage Rolls from Pastry ready to go.
Remove sausages from their skins and arrange in an even line on top of the onions. Brush pastry borders lightly with beaten egg, then roll up each pastry rectangle. These caramelised onion sausage rolls are always the most welcome addition to a lunchbox because no one needs boring lunches! You can cook Caramelised Onion Sausage Rolls using 7 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Caramelised Onion Sausage Rolls
- Prepare 375 g of sausage meat.
- Prepare 1 sheet of pre-rolled puff pastry.
- Prepare 1 tsp of dried mixed herbs.
- You need 3 tbsp of caramelised onion chutney.
- You need 1 of egg.
- You need of Sesame seeds.
- It’s of Plain Flour.
Delicious sausage wrapped in flaky puff pastry aka sausage rolls are British through and through. They are everywhere you look in England and for a few very good reasons. Make your next party a hit with homemade sausage rolls. Place down the centre of each pastry half and brush the edges with egg.
Caramelised Onion Sausage Rolls instructions
- Preheat the oven to 220°c (200°c for fan assisted). Place a baking sheet onto a metal tray for use in the oven..
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the sausage meat, dried mixed herbs and 1 tbsp of chutney. At this point the mixture may seem a little wet. You may wish to add a small amount of flour to dry the mixture a little..
- Open out your pasty and measure the length of the sheet. Scatter a light dusting of flour on your work surface and turn out the sausage mix onto the floured surface. Form a long sausage from the mix, ensuring it is the same length as the pastry sheet..
- Spread the remaining onion chutney lengthways down the centre of the pastry sheet using the back of a spoon..
- Now move the formed sausage to sit on top of the chutney..
- Roll the side of the pastry closest to you first, ensuring it is tucked neatly round the meat. Now roll the rest of the pastry like you would a Swiss Roll..
- Sprinkle a light dusting of flour on the pasty to enable you to move the log. Ensure the 'rough' end of the pastry is on the bottom of the roll before you start cutting..
- Cut the large sausage roll into 10 smaller rolls and place them on the baking tray, ensuring they retain their shape and adjusting them if necessary..
- Once you have placed all 10 on the tray stab each one on the top with a sharp knife to about half way through. This will allow steam to escape..
- Crack the egg into a cup or small bowl and whisk lightly with a fork. Use a basting brush and coat the pastry with the egg mixture. To finish sprinkle a small amount of sesame seeds on each roll..
- Place in the middle of the oven for approximately 25 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Once cooked remove from The tray and allow to cool on a rack. Enjoy once cooled..
The onions come out creamy and are the perfect companion to broiled or grilled sausages. This is excellent served with mashed potatoes. I used mild Italian pork sausages. Add the onions, salt and pepper. Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.