Sausage Rolls. A sausage roll is a savoury pastry snack, popular in Commonwealth nations. They are sold at retail outlets and are also available from bakeries as a take-away food. A miniature version can be served as buffet or party food.
The traditional British sausage roll is so quick and easy to make, plus it is the perfect snack or party food and can be served hot or cold. Sausage rolls are a staple of both British and Irish food. Sausage rolls make a great picnic or buffet snack and are delicious either hot or cold. You can cook Sausage Rolls using 8 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Sausage Rolls
- It’s 750 g of x puff pastry.
- You need 700 g of x sausage meat.
- You need 500 g of x minced pork.
- It’s 100 g of x dried bread crumbs.
- It’s 1 of x red onion.
- Prepare of herbs optional.
- Prepare 1 of x beaten egg for glaze.
- Prepare of seeds for topping.
Wrap pork mince in buttery pastry for little parcels of perfection. Sausage rolls are perfect for family get-togethers and parties with friends. Sausage rolls are classic pub food for a reason. These flaky pastries stuffed with spiced sausage bake up golden brown and are delicious.
Sausage Rolls instructions
- Dice and pan fry the onion.
- Combine sausage meat, pork bread crumb, herbs and the onions when cooled. Add the herbs and season thoroughly. Test the seasoning by pan-frying a small patty, letting it cool to warm and taste..
- Roll out the pastry to about 1/4 cm, arrange a strip of sausage meat about 2/3 down from the top then brush the smaller strip of pastry with egg..
- Fold over the pastry from the top and firmly but gently squeeze it into place without gaps around the sausage meat. Then roll over the exposed egg washed pastry to seal the cylinder..
- Trim off the edge then work out the size you want to portion then cut with a sharp knife. Brush with egg twice and sprinkle seeds (optional) before baking.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven 190c for ten minutes, remove and brush once more with egg before baking until the pastry has a deep golden colour and check internal temp to make sure they reach 75c minimum. The baking may take 30 minutes or more to ensure the bottom side of the pastry is cooked.
- The internal temp on mine reached 95c and the finished sausage rolls were still moist, these screen shots are taken from my video from my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy27KYCsvQY&t=26s feel free to go there to watch it.
Roll out purchased puff pastry dough or make your own and. Sausage Rolls are a must-have for potlucks, Game Day parties, and holiday gatherings. Made with pizza dough and fresh sausages, they're like grown-up pigs in a blanket! I have been making my own Sausage Rolls for years, and I noticed that the original recipe had excluded onions. I always add finely chopped onions to the sausagemeat along with breadcrums.