You can have Char Siu using 12 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Char Siu
- Prepare 8 lbs of pork shoulder, sliced 1 in thick.
- It’s 1 cup of sugar.
- You need 1 cup of soy sauce.
- It’s 1 jar of kikkoman hoisin sauce.
- You need 1/2 cup of dry sherry.
- You need 2 Tbsp of toasted sesame oil.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of white pepper.
- It’s 2 tsp of Chinese five spice powder.
- It’s 2 Tbsp of ginger, grated.
- It’s 2 Tbsp of garlic, grated.
- It’s 1/2 cup of ketchup.
- It’s 2/3 cup of honey.
Char Siu instructions
- Combine the sugar, soy, hoisin, spices, ginger, garlic, sherry, oil..
- Divide the sauce in half..
- Places the pork in a large ziplock and cover in one half of the marinade. Marinade 4 hours to over night..
- Remove the pork from the marinade and smoke at 225 to 250 for 4-5 hours..
- Add the ketchup and honey to the other portion of marinade..
- On a wire racked inserted into a baking tray, lay the smoked pork out in a single layer..
- Turn the overhead broiler on in your oven. Do NOT use a drawer broiler..
- Brush with the reserved sauce and broil 5 minutes until the surface is bubbling and mahogany in color. Feel free to layer the sauce on as it broils. Repeat on the other side..
- Serve sliced with extra sauce or chop and make char siu bao..