Sweet and Sour Pork. Sweet and Sour Pork is an iconic Chinese recipe and classic Cantonese dish. Called "咕嚕肉" or "goo lou yok" in Cantonese dialect, this recipe is very pleasing to the palate because of the flavorsome sweet and sour sauce—the sweetness from sugar plus the tangy ketchup and sharp rice. Sweet and sour pork is arguably one of the most popular Chinese dishes in the United States, but as with most classic dishes, it's difficult to find a go-to recipe.
In a bowl, combine all marinade ingredients with the pork. Place the corn flour in a large bowl and toss the marinated pork chunks until liberally coated. Chef John's sweet and sour pork with pineapple and green onions is a lighter version of the Chinese take-out classic. You can have Sweet and Sour Pork using 26 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Sweet and Sour Pork
- It’s of Pork shoulder / neck meat.
- Prepare of Marinade Ingredients.
- It’s 4 tbsp of flour.
- You need 2 tbsp of corn flour.
- You need 1 tsp of baking powder.
- You need 2 of eggs beaten.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of pepper.
- It’s of Toppings and Sauce.
- It’s 1/2 of onion cut into small piece.
- You need 1 of green bell pepper.
- It’s 1 of red bell pepper.
- It’s 1 of tomato dized.
- It’s of Minced ginger.
- You need of Minced garlic.
- It’s 2 stalks of spring onion.
- It’s 1 tbsp of soy sauce.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of oyster sauce.
- You need 3 tbsp of tomato ketchup.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of vinegar / pineapple juice.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce.
- You need 1 tbsp of Shaoxing wine.
- You need 1 tsp of plum sauce.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of sesame oil.
- It’s 1/2 cup of water.
- You need 2 tsp of brown sugar.
Reviews for: Photos of Sweet and Sour Pork Tenderloin. Sweet and Sour Pork is a Cantonese dish (咕嚕肉 or gū lō yuk) where tender pieces of pork are deep fried until crispy and then stir fried with vegetables and pineapple in a sweet and sour sauce. Its characteristic orange-red color comes from ketchup, which makes it especially appealing to kids and. Sweet and sour pork 咕噜肉/咕老肉 is the traditional Chinese cuisine with a universal appeal.
Sweet and Sour Pork instructions
- Marinate pork shoulder with some pinch of salt and white pepper in a mixing bowl. Prepare crispy fry batter with all flour mixtures. Coat meat with a layer of flour and coat second layer with beaten egg and lastly coat anothet layer of flour. Fry the coated meat until golden brown and set aside..
- Stir fry minced garlic and ginger until aroma. Add in bell pepper, sitr fry a while and add in onions and add in wine and will cause some flame. Add in sauce mixture with 1/2 cup of water and let it boil. Add cornstarch solution to thicken sauce..
- Turn of the stove fire and immediately add in the meat and toss for a little to have the sauce coated lightly and serve..
It is easy to prepare, kids friendly, which is perfect for any busy home cooks. The pork pieces are doused in a thick, spoon-coating sauce with a constant pull between sweet and sour. Making sweet and sour sauce is easier than you think. It is composed of sugar, vinegar, and ketchup. Heat a separate pan then pour-in the sweet and sour sauce ingredients.