Braised Pork & Sauerkraut. This is my recipe for braised pork belly, a very popular dish in Chinese cuisine. Although it may take a little while to make, the taste is excellent and. Start by cutting your pork for your Shanghai braised pork belly.
Chinese pickles are often eaten with the dish. Pat the pork dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Braised Pork in Sweet Soy Sauce – Tender pieced of pork braised in a flavorful sauce with a touch of heat. You can have Braised Pork & Sauerkraut using 11 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Braised Pork & Sauerkraut
- It’s 2 lb. of packaged sauerkraut.
- You need 1 of pear, peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks.
- Prepare 1 of small yellow onion, roughly chopped.
- It’s 1/2 tsp. of cumin.
- It’s 1 tsp. of caraway seeds.
- It’s 5 of juniper berries (optional).
- It’s 1/3 cup of dry white wine.
- Prepare 3 lb. of pork (shoulder or butt, bone-in).
- Prepare 3 tbs. of dry rub (seasonings).
- Prepare 1 sprig of fresh rosemary.
- It’s 1 cup of gravy.
Made with just a small list of simple ingredients. Braised Pork Belly. written by Emma Tang. Pork belly lovers, today is your lucky day! I am sharing the recipe of one of the most popular pork belly dishes in China, the braised pork belly.
Braised Pork & Sauerkraut step by step
- Place sauerkraut in medium sized pot; add the chopped pear, onion, seasonings, and wine. Bring to a slight boil, reduce heat to low-medium, and cook for 30 minutes slightly covered..
- Prepare the pork (trim any fat) and cover the meat with dry rub seasonings and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour (covered)..
- Heat up an outdoor grill (best) or a large frying pan with oil, and sear the meat on all sides on medium-high heat, for about 4 minutes a side. [This will seal in the juices of the meat while slow-cooking later in the oven].
- Heat oven to 325˚ F..
- Transfer the meat to a large pot / pan with lid (oven proof) and place the sauerkraut around all the sides of the meat. Place the rosemary on top of the meat, cover, and place in the oven to cook for 2 hours..
- Remove the pan lid and continue to cook for 40 minutes. This will produce a golden color atop of the kraut and will begin to solidify all the juices..
- When done cooking, remove the meat from the pan. Drain off the pan liquid. Shred the pork, add the pieces back to the pan with kraut, and lightly mix..
- Serve with mashed potatoes and cover all ingredients (lightly) with gravy..
Pork belly is the cut where bacon originates and is quite heavy in fat. But the extended time that this Japanese-style braised pork belly is simmered with ginger and scallions reduces the fat in the. Braising is a great cooking method for large or small pork cuts, but traditionally those that are less tender. Kakuni (Japanese Braised Pork Belly) – Slow cooked pork belly in soy sauce glaze, serve with Kakuni (角煮) is Japanese braised pork belly, and it literary means "square simmered" referring to the. These braised pork feet are moist, tender and flavorful.