Batata vada. Batata vada is a popular potato snack recipe from Maharashtrian cuisine. These are a popular street food not only in Mumbai but across India. Batata translates to potato and vada to fried dumplings.
Batata vada is a fried potato stuffed fritter. This is absolutely lip smacking delicious recipe of Maharashtrian style batata vada. Batata vada is a popular Mumbai street food snack. You can cook Batata vada using 31 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Batata vada
- You need 3-4 of potatoes steamed or boiled.
- You need of For the masala :.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds.
- It’s Pinch of asafoetida.
- You need 1 tsp of chopped ginger.
- You need 1 tsp of chopped garlic.
- Prepare 1 of medium onion chopped (optional).
- You need 3-4 of green chillies chopped.
- It’s 7-8 of fried curry leaves.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of chopped coriander.
- You need 1/4 th tsp of red chilli powder.
- Prepare To taste of salt.
- You need 1 tbsp of oil.
- You need of For the batter:.
- It’s 1/2 cup of gramflour.
- You need 2 tbsp of rice flour.
- Prepare Pinch of baking soda.
- Prepare To taste of salt.
- It’s 1/4th tsp of red chilli powder.
- You need 1/4 th cup of water or as needed.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of warm oil for mix.
- Prepare 1 cup of oil or as needed for deep frying.
- Prepare of For chutney:.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of chopped coriander.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of mint leaves.
- Prepare 1 tsp of peanuts.
- You need 1 of green chilli.
- Prepare 2 cloves of garlic.
- You need 1/4 th tsp of ginger.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of lemon juice.
- You need To taste of salt.
In Marathi language 'potatoes' are called as 'batata' and 'vada' means a 'fried snack'. Batata Vada Recipe – About Batata Vada Recipe: A popular snack from the streets of Maharashtra. Batata translates into potato in English. Mashed masaledar potatoes coated in a thick besan (chickpea flour) batter and deep fried till golden.
Batata vada instructions
- Steam or pressure cook potatoes and mash coarsely when warm.Heat oil in a nonstick pan.Sprinkle mustard seeds and when it crackles,add chopped ginger and garlic and fry lightly.Add few curry leaves and fry.Then add the mashed potato,salt to taste,turmeric and red chilli powder.Add chopped green chillies and coriander leaves and toss till all masalas are mixed in potato.Make balls out of potatoes.Then flatten with palm..
- Make a thick batter out of gramflour,rice flour,salt,red chilli powder and little turmeric.Add 1 tbsp warm oil and baking soda while making batter.Heat oil.Dip each flattened ball in batter and fry each vada tossing when one side is done till golden brown.Take out all vadas from oil when done and spread on a kitchen tissue to remove excess oil.Serve hot with ketchup or green chutney..
- For chutney :Assemble all ingredients and grind to a smooth paste using minimum water.Mix lemon juice and salt to taste..
Served with a tangy chutney, batata vada is a street food delight tat you can easily prepare at home during the monsoon season or usually as an evening. Batata Vada is now ready for serving. Serve hot with tea and green chutney / tomato ketch up. Tips and Variations: Mashed potato mixture will turn sticky if boiled potato has excessive moisture. If mashed potato has excess moisture, cook it in a non-stick pan until excess moisture evaporates.