Prawns in Tamarind Soup (Sinigang na Sugpo). Today's recipe is Prawns in Tamarind Soup or Sinigang na Sugpo. Others also call this Filipino sour soup or seafood in tamarind soup. How To Cook Sinigang na Hipon sa Sampalok (Shrimp in Tamarind Soup) by COLYMD.
Serve this classic Sinigang na Sugpo recipe from Yummy.ph. Today's recipe is Prawns in Tamarind Soup or Sinigang na Sugpo. Others also call this Filipino sour soup or seafood in tamarind soup. You can have Prawns in Tamarind Soup (Sinigang na Sugpo) using 16 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Prawns in Tamarind Soup (Sinigang na Sugpo)
- It’s 2 pieces (70 grams) of Onion.
- Prepare 2 pieces (60 grams) of Tomato.
- Prepare 6 pieces (200 grams) of Prawns.
- It’s 1 piece (90 grams) of Radish.
- It’s 6 pieces (70 grams) of Okra.
- Prepare 5 pieces (50 grams) of String Beans.
- It’s 1 piece (100 grams) of Eggplant.
- You need 2 pieces (20 grams) of Finger Chilies.
- Prepare 2 pieces (150 grams) of Taro.
- It’s 1 bunch of Water Spinach.
- You need 1 liter of Water.
- You need 1 pack of Tamarind Powder or Sinigang Mix.
- You need 1 teaspoon of Salt.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of Fish Sauce.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of Ground Black Pepper.
- Prepare 1-2 pieces of Calamansi.
It is one of the more popular viands in Philippine cuisine and is related to the Malaysian dish singgang. Don't you just love the colors… this sinigang na sugpo has everything: color, texture, flavor. It is a soup dish with generous amounts of seafood and vegetables. When buying prawns or shrimps, choose the ones with the heads still firmly attached to the body.
Prawns in Tamarind Soup (Sinigang na Sugpo) instructions
- Prepare all the vegetables: Wash all the vegetables. Cut the tomatoes into quarters. Peel and cut the onions into quarters. Cut off the stem of the okra and slice it diagonally, about 3 inches long pieces. ©homebasedchef.
- Cut off the stem of the finger chilies. Peel and slice the radish diagonally, just about 1/4 inches in width, not too thin nor too thick. Slice the eggplant diagonally, about 1/2 inches in width, and soak in water to avoid discoloration..
- Cut the string beans into 3 inches long pieces. Peel and cut the taro into 1 inch wedges or pieces. Be careful when peeling or cutting the taro because it is slippery. Select the water spinach leaves with stems, usually around 4 inches long. Do not include thicker or harder stems..
- Prepare the prawns: Wash the prawns under running water. Devein the prawns, leaving the shells to preserve texture and color. To do this, use a toothpick and slide it right between two pieces of shell and under the vein then lift the toothpick slowly to pull out the vein..
- Cooking instructions: Pour the water into the pot and bring to boil. Put in the tomatoes, onions, taro and boil over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the eggplant, radish, string beans, and okra. Simmer over low heat until vegetables are tender but the string beans and okra are still green..
- Add the prawns and cook for about 2 minutes, you may adjust cooking time depending on the size of the prawns. Season with fish sauce, pepper and finger chilies. Stir. Put in the tamarind powder, salt and water spinach. Mix well. Simmer for 1 more minute..
- Serve hot with steamed rice and fish sauce and halved calamansi as dipping sauce..
The Best Tamarind Soup Recipes on Yummly Pork Sinigang (philippine Tamarind Soup), Sinigang Na Lechon/roasted Pork In Tamarind Soup, Sayur Asem – Vegetables In Tamarind Soup. Until I googled "tamarind soup recipes" I had no idea exactly how many kinds of tamarind soup there are! After poring over each recipe, I settled on Sinigang is a soup that has a base of tamarind, tomatoes, and onions. A choice of meats or seafood are added, and then vegetables such as green.