Japanese Angel Soft Milk Loaf. Here's a recipe for Japanese Milk Loaf, secret seems to be whipped cream. Japanese Milk Buns are known for their distinct, milky taste and their soft, melt in your mouth texture. These soft dinner rolls are perfect with any kind of jam or spread but are delicious on their own.
Also called Japanese Milk Bread, this milk bread is made very differently and is very moist and also has a light, fluffy and slightly chewy texture. best milk bread recipe… ever. i always come back to this. if i want to make a square style loaf like japanese shokupan (putting the lid on the Pullman loaf. This light and fluffy Japanese milk bread features a smart technique that keeps the sandwich bread soft and Milk bread (also known as Hokkaido milk bread) is a lightly-sweetened Japanese white bread Place the coils seam-side down in the loaf pan with the spirals against the long side of the pan. Commonly known as Hokkaido milk bread or Japanese milk bread, or milk toast, this super soft and fluffy bread has always been my preferred bread. You can have Japanese Angel Soft Milk Loaf using 15 ingredients and 17 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Japanese Angel Soft Milk Loaf
- It’s 92 g of (184g, not ml) whole milk or (12g skim milk and 80g water).
- Prepare 1.5 g (3 g) of dry yeast.
- It’s 125 g (250 g) of strong flour or wholemeal flour.
- Prepare 15 g of sugar (30g).
- Prepare 1.5 g of or 1/4 tsp (3g or 1/2 tsp) salt.
- You need 10 g (20 g) of unsalted butter, room temperature (If you use salted butter, reduce the salt amount.).
- You need of nuts and seeds – option.
- It’s of 【With 120g raisin yeast starter dough】 example.
- You need 120 g (240 g) of raisin yeast starter dough.
- Prepare 65 g (130 g) of strong flour = 125-(120/2).
- It’s 20 g (40 g) of whole milk = 92×0.87 -(120/2).
- You need 4 g (8 g) of skim milk = (120/2)x0.13.
- You need of No dry yeast.
- It’s of The rest of the ingredients remain the same.
- You need of Rasin Yest starter at:https://cookpad.com/uk/recipes/13322647.
The strong milky and slightly sweet flavor of this bread makes the traditional white bread taste so bland. Despite looking rustic on the outside, this loaf has a soft delicate texture inside. The flavor is slightly sweet and mildly milky. I would classify it as a Japanese style bread, but it's not as sweet and rich as most.
Japanese Angel Soft Milk Loaf instructions
- Lay parchment sheet or oil the bread tin.
- Heat the milk in a microwave about 20 (40) seconds to make it warm. Or just heat it up in a pan. Please never make it too hot as yeast will die at 60 degrees. Around the temperature of bath would be perfect. If it is too hot, leave it till it becomes warm..
- Add yeast into the warm milk and mix well..
- Add flour, sugar, salt in a bowl or on board and mix them. Then, add the warm milk and mix them. Then, knead by hands for about 10 mins on a board or knead for about 7-10 mins with a stand mixer using a kneading hook until gluten has created and the dough does not stick to the bowl. The time will depend on your machine..
- Please knead well here until the dough becomes stretchy and gluten is formed. When gluten is formed, you touch the dough and it doesn't stick to your hand. Also if you stretch it becomes very thin sheet almost see-through it. I use speed 2 or 3 on my stand mixer. If you too strong, it becomes very sticky..
- Add chopped or soft butter and knead further for about 3-5 mins until the dough becomes smooth and not stick to the bowl like the last photo. It should look silky and smooth..
- Take the dough out and make it round with the motion on tucking inside at the bottom. It should become smooth like the photos below. If it is still too sticky, you need to knead with hands until it becomes easier to handle it. I usually hit it like a ball and it will become less sticky and smooth. Add seeds or nuts if you wish. Cover it with cling film and leave it for 30-40 mins until it becomes about twice. It can take much longer. I put a hot water with 36-45℃ beneath like the last photo..
- Test the fermentation with a finger coated by flour. If it is the hole remains, the first fermentation has been done..
- After having tested the fermentation, take out the dough and punch it down. Make it round again. Cut it into 8 (16) or 6 (12) pieces depends on how you like. Make them round. Place them in with the tucked parts as the bottom. Cover it with a damp cloth and leave 15 mins. (You could omit this resting step. However, you will get a better result if you do. When I prepare at night and leave them in the fridge, I omit it as it seems it does not make many differences, if I leave them in the fridge.).
- Make them round again with the motion of tucking and place them in the bread tin with the tucked parts on the bottom. Add some more seeds on the top, if you wish. (If you wish to bake them in the morning, you could leave them overnight in the fridge till next morning.).
- Leave it in a warm place until it becomes 2-2.5 times, usually for about 30-60 mins, depends on the room temperature and the yeast. Dust them with flour. (The second fermentation) If you left them in the fridge overnight, please put them in a warm water bath beneath or something. Otherwise, it will take for ages to get this second fermentation done. When the yeast was strong, it is already ready to bake when you take out from the fridge. Then, omit the second fermentation. ).
- Preheat the oven at 180℃..
- Put the bread tin in the oven and turn down the temperature as 160℃. Then, bake at 160℃ for about 18 mins. Please make sure you reduce the temperature to 160℃. If you bake at 180℃, your bread becomes harder. If your oven is powerful enough and it does not go down the temperature when you open, just preheat it as 160℃..
- After having baked for 18 mins, it is done. You can see the video of how soft they are at: https://www.instagram.com/p/B_YWiW6nIfo/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link.
- You can make character breads with this dough such as bear, cat, Totoro, rabbits etc which children love. Bear recipe is here. https://cookpad.com/uk/recipes/12351787-milk-bear-loaf.
- Decorated with those..
This recipe does not include condensed milk, milk powder, cream or egg. This Hokkaido Milk Sandwich Loaf using Natural Fermentation, is very soft and shred-able and totally delicious. It takes three days, since we are using Natural Fermentation and no commercial yeast, but the actual work is only a few minutes each day. The time is just the fermenting and resting time. Classic Japanese Milk Bread recipe made with cream, milk, and an extra special something that Japanese Milk Bread dough rolled up.